Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act includes sweeping changes and a number of options in healthcare coverage. There are a wide variety of resources available online that provide information about these options, and how to choose what is best for you. The staff of the Orrville Public Library can direct patrons to those resources.
Making the correct healthcare choices requires an understanding of each person’s or family’s unique health and financial circumstances. Members of the Orrville Public Library staff are not trained or licensed to provide advice or to assist you in selecting a specific health plan, but can provide information and direction to public resources about the Affordable Care Act that will help you make your own choices.
As part of the Affordable Health Care Act, U.S. citizens and legal residents will be required to have qualifying health coverage by January 1, 2014. In preparation for this, a health care exchange (a place where consumers can purchase subsidized health insurance coverage) will be available beginning October 1, 2013. If an individual wishes their health insurance to begin January 1, 2014, they must enroll by mid-December. Open Enrollment will close March 31, 2014.
There are four methods an individual can use to apply for health care insurance:
- traditional mail
- toll-free phone: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)
- online at Healthcare.gov or Spanish speaking consumers may use CuidadoDeSalud.gov
- in person through certified navigators (click here for a list of Ohio navigators).
Locally, the Wayne County Department of Job and Family Services provides help getting started. More information can be found here:
- HealthCare.gov is your main source for current and accurate information.
- Printable fact sheets from healthcare.gov include Get Ready to Enroll in the Marketplace and Things to Think About When Choosing a Health Plan. They also have a YouTube channel with videos.
- Ohio Department of Insurance Frequently Asked Questions.
- TaxACT explanation of the Health Insurance Marketplace.